Kells’ Vincent de Paul Theatre is a state of the art theatre located in. the heart of Kells Town Centre. The theatre hosts a variety of pantomimes, plays and musicals from the long tenured Kells Musical and Dramatic Society 1976, as well as many travelling production companies and local drama groups.
Vincent de Paul theatre hosts Bingo every Friday night at 8:30pm.
About the St. Vincent de Paul Theatre
The St. Vincent de Paul Theatre (formally Hall), was built in 1913 by Lady Headfort. The hall was rented to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul for £1 a year to help the poor and unfortunate in the town.
In the 100 years since “The Hall” was opened it served many uses to the town. From a dance hall and sometime indoor soccer pitch to the home of the Kells Operatic Society in the 1930’s and 40’s The Hall has always been a home to music and art. A recent celebration of it’s illustrious history brought many of the old faces that once graced it’s stage (or maybe the tea room underneath) back to The Theatre to remember the good times had within and of course the now infamous wooden floor (never a floor like it was laid in Kells before or since).
In 1976 what was left of the Kells Players and various other drama groups came together under the leadership of John Grant, Brian Curran and Brian O’Neill Snr. to create the Kells Musical and Dramatic Society 1976, the Theatre’s most frequent occupants. In action for over 40 years, the KMDS has established a legacy in the theatre that has seen “The Hall” transformed into The St. Vincent de Paul Theatre, a premier venue for the arts in Kells and an outstanding community resource.